With so much to remember on a daily basis, how do you recall the truly important things in your life, such as happy moments with your family? Peter Kinderman, a Professor of Clinical Psychology at the university of Liverpool has tackled that question in order to develop a new technique to help you recall any situation with perfect clarity. The 5-4-3-2-1 meditation technique is a popular practice which helps people ground themselves in a moment and is often used by people who struggle with anxiety to regain control of their thoughts.
Here’s how to use the 5-4-3-2-1 Memory Technique.
5. Point out a mental note of 5 things you see: eg. Sunset, article of clothing, sign, etc.
4. Notice 4 things you hear: eg. Phones buzzing; traffic; chatter at work.
3. Observe 3 things you feel: eg. feet on carpet; skin or an orange, warmth of the sun
2. Point out 2 things you can smell: eg food, someones perfume
1. Point out the 1 thing you can taste: eg. unusual ice cream flavour