Black River Public School in Sutton is one of 10 schools across the province to be recognized through the Premier’s Awards for Accepting Schools.
These awards are given annually to recognize teams of students, educators and parents for creativity and leadership in creating positive school environments, and supporting student achievement and well-being.
Students at Black River Public School have high academic and socio-economic needs. Staff have met the challenges presented by poverty, special needs, exceptionalities, irregular attendance and transient populations by setting high standards for character and inclusiveness and by creating safe spaces in the school.
The Safe and Accepting Schools Teams in the following schools are the recipients of the 2016-17 Premier’s awards:
- Black River Public School – Sutton
- Chinguacousy Secondary School – Brampton
- Collège catholique Mer Bleue – Orléans
- Dundas Valley Secondary School – Hamilton
- Eganville and District Public School – Eganville
- Francis Libermann Catholic Secondary School – Scarborough
- Guildwood Junior Public School – Scarborough
- Kingswood Drive Public School – Brampton
- Kirkland Lake District Composite School – Kirkland Lake
- St. Mary Catholic Secondary School – Pickering